For the first time in my life, I was a victim of food poisoning. This happened to me early dawn of Saturday when I suddenly woke up with painful cramps on my tummy (like labor pains), vomiting and diarrhea. Indeed, I was too weak and too dazed that I could not even get myself to go to the toilet. I was thinking of the events of the night before when I went to the gym and had a KFC chicken fillet sandwich for dinner. But the culprit turned out to be the tahong (mussels) I ate 16 hours before which also downed more than a dozen people in our office. Apparently, someone was being promoted to an officer position and felt gracious enough to stuff us with contaminated tahong ~ ugh!
This food poisoning incident reminded me of our Christmas party two years ago when many of my officemates were downed by the chocolate mousse served by this ailing hotel in the metro. That poisoning spared me then as I did not taste the spoiled mousse, contrary to my penchant to get “a little of everything” on the buffet table..lol.
Luckily, I recovered easily from my food poisoning episode. My doctor, thinking that it was some form of intestinal flu, told me to take Kremil-S and Decolgen. And after asking him “why Decolgen?” he told me not to be smarter than the doctor and just take it. True enough, I felt better. Even though I was weak still, I persisted on attending a luncheon in a Chinese restaurant, a meeting , my Rotary Club induction and my weekend graveyard duty at work. The same could not be said of the others who had to lie in a hospital in a dextrose.
Will the incident stop me from being a foodie? No. But am probably not touching tahong in a thousand years. Sabaw ng tahong na ginisa sa luya, ang sarap pa naman.