Sorry, I don’t have the figures on how many Koreans are there right now in the Philippines. All I know is that they are everywhere!! (and am not exactly complaining because after all, we are supposed to exercise tolerance towards other races). They are omnipresent, especially where I live and work. Manila may as well be christened Koreatown. Is it good or bad? You tell me. I can just give you the signs on why Koreans are invading our world:
1. You begin to greet your cellphone callers with “Yo-bo-se-yo!” (and you’re not even a rapper :P)
2. Your good morning/good afternoon has been replaced by “Anyong haseyo!”
3. You now pair your adobo, crispy pata and pork bbq with kimchi.
4. yet, you stand within six meters of that Korean trying to talk to you whose breath reeks of kimchi
5. you can’t imagine how those tourists eat kimchi with gusto, for breakfast
6. You go to Boracay and Pagsanjan falls and you wonder why there are more Koreans than Filipinos there.
7. You go to some remote tourist spot like the Banaue Rice Terraces and sigh with relief that there’s no Korean there
8. You can make sense of a text message from a Korean customer that reads: “sorry before I need room but now is I have I call next time.”
9. You pinch yourself in the arm for speaking broken English like a Korean. “Okay next time reserve because maybe fully-booked.” huh!
9. There’s now a Korean grocery on every block competing with 7-11 and Ministop
10. Same with those Korean spas, and restaurants which have sprouted like mushrooms from nowhere.
11. You now have a strong liking for chap chae and cha jang myun instead of Italian pasta and Chinese noodles
12. Likewise, you develop a taste for bulgogi instead of the usual bistek
13. You are utterly convinced that these Koreans only have three surnames: Kim, Park and Lee
14. Your favorite salon is Tony and Jackey.
15. Your favorite TV show is a Korean telenovela.
16. Your cellphone is a Samsung
17. You wonder why Koreans love to wear Burberry and Louis Vuitton from head to foot (never mind if it’s a triple Class A faux)
18. You wonder why those Korean ladies love to wear skirts all the time
19. Koreans love golf so much they are already filling up the golf courses
20. Most of the Filipinos you have so far talked to have strong opinions about Koreans