Saturday night at Nuvo in Greenbelt, I was glad to be acquainted with a very unique beauty contest: Miss Scuba Philippines. Its aim is to raise awareness for the preservation of the oceans. To be qualified, a participant of the pageant must not only be gorgeous. She must have basic diving skills; not to mention, sufficient knowledge of marine conservation and scuba tourism. Way to go!
Miss Scuba Philippines 2014 is the local edition of Miss Scuba International founded by businessman Robert Lo, proprietor of the Sipadan Mabul Resort and Mabul Water Bungalows in Malaysia. The pageant was held for the first time in 2011, followed by Bali in 2012. In the 2013 event, Philippine representative Christine Paula Love Bernasor placed first runner-up to Jamie Lee Faulkner of the United Kingdom.
For 2014, everyone’s wish is to have a Filipina to be proclaimed Miss Scuba International. This hope was intimated by no less than the Cebu-based organizers led by Charles Lim of SELRAHCO, the official event manager.
Aside from Mr. Lim, also shown in photo at the press conference are (from left) beauty titlist Christine Bernasor; Barbie Chan, director of Hong Kong-based sav Hospitality; and Rey Belandres, operations manager of sponsor Pacific Cebu Resort in Mactan island. The resort is the official home of the contestants and venue of the grand finals on September 26, 2014.
(photos by Vince Tanching)
Applications from all interested ladies are now accepted for Miss Scuba Philippines 2014 until August 15. To join the pageant, contestants must have the following qualifications:
- Are between 18-28 years of age at the date of the International Pageant;
- Minimum of 5’4’ or 162cm in height (without heels)
- Are able to converse in basic English
- Able to swim and is a certified diver, at least until the first level (Open Water)
- Keen and motivated to promote the sport of Scuba Diving and Marine Conservation
- Good health; good moral character;
- Single; never been married & has never given birth
- Not under contract with a person, firm, pageant or corporation that would prevent her appearance or participation in the Miss Scuba International Pageant.
The national finalists will be announced on August 21. The winner in the Philippine pageant to be held on September 26 will compete in the Miss Scuba International 2014 to be held in Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia.
For inquiries, please email msscubaPH@gmail.com or call Belle Lumapas (09223534486) & Precious Heradura (09228596363). Application forms should be filled-up personally by the applicant and sent to SELRAHCO Office at U-711 Trinity Plaza Tower, Escario St. Cebu City.
Miss Scuba Philippines 2014 stands to win P 150,000 in total cash prizes while it’s P100,000.00 for the 1st runner-up and P 50, 000.00 for the 2nd runner-up
The official facebook page is at https://www.facebook.com/MsScubaPH