Something changed in my life last year: I started eating brown rice instead of white. I had a hard time getting used to it at first but I was trying to lose weight and of course, most experts say it’s the healthier alternative. Brown rice is reputed to contain more fiber and other essential nutrients. Now that I’m accustomed to brown grains, I’ve lost all taste for white rice except when am eating in a Chinese restaurant because yang chow goodness is something I can’t resist. Haha.
When I say brown rice, I also mean the red rice available in the market.There are also ‘violet’ and ‘black’ rice varieties and experts even say that the darker the rice, the better it is since it contains more antioxidants.
Anyway, a pack of black rice arrived in my doorstep this week from Sunnywood Superfoods Corp. and I was glad to be apprised of these recipes made specially by the husband-and-wife team of top chefs Rolando and Jac Laudico. Apparently, we can make something special out of black/brown rice other than just cooking them plain. So we’re sharing them here. Photos courtesy of Sunnywood.
Seafood Black Rice Paella
2 cups Jordan Farms Black Rice
1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
4 tbsp garlic minced
1 cup onion small diced
1 cup tomatoes large diced
1 piece chorizo large diced
6 cups chicken stock or broth
2 cups clams (boiled in 1 cup water)
1 cup boiled clam juice (reserve liquid)
1 cup squid rings
1 cup prawns
1 cup fish fillet (cubes)
2 pieces crabs (boiled, halved)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Heat oil then brown chorizo. Saute garlic, onions and tomatoes for 5 minutes then add
raw black rice and cook for 2 minutes.
2. Add chicken stock and clam stock season with salt and pepper then let simmer until
rice is almost cooked around 40 minutes or more.
3. Add squid, prawns, fish, clams and crabs and cook for 5 minutes. Top with garnishes.
1 tbsp each of red, yellow and green bell pepper diced
2 tbsp chopped parsley or any fresh herbs
1 lemon or lime sliced in wedges
Anyway, did you know that you can make brown rice into dessert too? This is a healthy, heart-friendly alternative to the usual sweets packed with a lot of sugar.
Creamy Brown Rice Pudding
2 liters milk
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup Jordan Farms Brown Rice / Harvester’s Brown Rice
4 eggs beaten
¼ teaspoon salt
1. Cook rice in sugar and milk in low heat for 1 hour. Cover and stir often.
2. When the texture becomes creamy take off from heat and slowly add the beaten eggs. Continue stirring and add the salt.
3. Pour in a pan, cover with plastic wrap and leave to cool. You may place it in a pan with ice to make it cool faster.
4. Chill for 4 hours or overnight.
5. Serve in bowls and add more milk or top with fruits if desired.