The 2015 flagship of the Samsung Galaxy line, the S6 and S6 Edge, will be fully available this April (and Samsung stores are taking pre-orders now). Consumers, and even those friends of mine who own the Galaxy S5 or older models, are thinking if it’s worth it to upgrade. Here are the features of the new smartphones to help you make an informed decision. Introductory prices are at the end of this post.
1. In terms of height and size in diameter, the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge are smaller and slimmer. But it really wins in the thinness department. Whereas the Samsung Galaxy S5 has a thickness of 8.1mm, GS6 is only 6.8mm while the GS6 Edge is 7mm
2. In terms of weight, the new models are lighter too. While the Galaxy S5 is all of 145 grams, Galaxy S6 is only 138 grams while the GS6 Edge tips the scales less at 132 grams
3. While the back of GS5 was made of plastic, the Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge boast of more premium materials, specifically Corning Gorilla Glass 4
4. The sides of the phone can also be distinguished. Whereas GS5 is made of plastic (again), that of the GS6 and GS6 Edge have an aluminum finish.
5. Even though the GS5’s display resolution is already at a high 1080p, the GS6 and GS6 Edge’s pixel density are even sharper at 2560 x 1440p. PPI or pixel per inch for both the new Galaxy smartphones are 577 ppi as against the S5’s 432 ppi. Blame it all on the new Quad HD Amoled screen.
6. The Galaxy S5 had a quad core processor while S6 and S6 Edge are equipped with Exynos octa core chips. Know what this means? Much faster speeds in whatever way you use the phone.
7. RAM upgrade from 2GB of the GS5 to 3GB of the new Galaxy flagship models
8. While the rear camera resolution remains at 16 megapixel for all 3 phones, the front-facing camera for both the S6 and S6 Edge has been upgraded to 5mp, as opposed to the previous 2mp of the S5. Which only means: better-looking selfies!
9. Built-in wireless charging for both Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge. The S5 doesn’t have this feature.Likewise, the fast charging mode of the S6 line promises four hours of battery life after gathering juice for just 10 minutes.
10. There’s no microSD slot in the new S6 and S6 Edge. Maybe because of the higher built-in storage at 32GB/64GB, a jump from the previous 16GB/32GB of the Galaxy S5.
11. Enhanced security features in the new Galaxy phones such as Find My Mobile, a remotely-controlled Reactivation Lock and touch-type fingerprint scanner which saves encrypted data.
12. Battery capacity of 2,550 mAh for the Galaxy S6 and 2,600 mAh for the S6 Edge. But the new batteries are not removable, like what you find in most phones.
Colors available for the new line-up are the following: White Pearl, Black Sapphire, Gold Platinum, Blue Topaz (Galaxy S6 only) and Green Emerald (Galaxy S6 edge only).
Introductory prices are:
P35,990 for the 32GB Galaxy S6 model and P41,990 for the 64GB version.
P41,990 for the 32GB Galaxy S6 Edge and P47,990 for the 64GB units.
For inquiries, email email@example.com. Visit the Samsung website http://www.samsung.com/ph, like the Samsung Mobile Philippines Facebook page (facebook.com/SamsungMobilePH) or tweet @samsungmobileph
(Photo used in this post courtesy of Samsung Philippines)