Two months ago, the first Samsung Digital Appliances Cooking Workshop was held at the sprawling GalaStars Culinary School in Mandaluyong City.I arrived just in time to find my blogger-friend Rowena preparing stuffed chicken. I was impressed, mostly because she’s declared she doesn’t really like to cook.
But I guess there was something about the recipes that day that were user-friendly and easy to master. What could be more fun than preparing chicken filled with everyone’s favorite Spam and cheese or cooking a pasta dish that could easily be served in a flash?
Credits to Chef Ernest Gala for sharing his knowledge and valuable tips that make it all seem easy, even for those who are intimidated by cooking. His tip No. 1 is to keep your ingredients fresh when not in use by storing it in the refrigerator (Samsung, of course!)
According to Samsung’s product marketing officer for refrigerator Katrina Lee, it’s now possible to cook healthier dishes at home while not worrying about the cost because of of the new generation of energy-efficient appliances. Samsung’s refs, for instance, are virtually noise-free and can cut energy consumption by up to 50 per cent. On the other hand, advanced, innovative features like those found in the Samsung Smart Oven, makes it possible for health-conscious consumers to fry with less oil because of its Slim Fry function.
Anyway, sharing here the two recipes that we were told to make during the cooking workshop. They are treats to delight members of the family or versatile dishes to bring to the next potluck or party..it’s all up to you!
Chicken with cheese & spam
How to make:
1. Prepare the following ingredients:
– Cooking oil good enough to fill 1/3 of your pan for deep-frying
– 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
– 1/4 cup Japanese bread crumbs
– 1 egg beaten with 1 tbsp. water
– 1 whole chicken breast, skin & bones removed
– a pinch of black pepper
– 4 thin slices of Quickmelt cheese
– 4 thin slices original Spa,
2. Pound chicken breast both sides, making sure not to break it. Cut into two lengthwise. Sprinkle with pepper.
3. Put a tablespoon of flour on the chopping board. Put chicken, wide side nearest your body. Arrange cheese slices on top, leaving a one-inch empty space on top side. Put Spam slice over cheese.
4. Flour your hands. Fold sides, then top, of chicken and roll as tightly as possible, jelly roll fashion. Dip meat in the following order: flour, egg & finally, breadcrumbs. Chill in Samsung refrigerator for 30 minutes (this can be frozen in airtight plastic container for 2 months too.) Take out & let stand in room temperature for 30 minutes before deep-frying.
Fettucine with Garlic, Basil and Tomato
1. Cook fettucini according to package directions.
2. One person is estimated to consume about 100 grams of the pasta, so prepare the following ingredients:
– 2 tbsps. olive oil
– 2 tbsps. garlic
– 1/4 cup canned whole or chopped tomato with liquid
– 1/8 tsp. each of salt and pepper
– basil leaves for garnish
3. In a 6 or 8-inch pan, saute garlic in oil. When slightly brown, add remaining ingredients except basil leaves. Add pasta. Cook for 1 minute. Garnish with the basil leaves.