Gyms are really not the favorite destination of Filipinos, malls are. Somehow we have this crazy idea that walking the whole length of Mall of Asia (with stop-overs of window-shopping in between) already equates to time spent in the treadmill. Women wearing skimpy skirts and midribs are also a common sight in Manila 😛 but rarely will you find a mini-skirted woman who is toned and muscular at the same time. A muscled and toned woman seems odd, by our standards. We prefer to wallow in our slimness and we can only thank God that we are Asian, and in some cases suffering from poverty (huh!) In my case, I have a two year gym membership which I am taking for granted because it is for two years anyway and somebody paid for it. I always make the excuse that I have no time and because of this, have cheated on the exercise routines that my trainer has listed down for me. I am just content with 30 minutes spent in the cardio machines three times a week, sometimes only once heaven help moi. Welll, that’s better than doing nothing. I just thought I’d like to share these tips I read in our gym’s bulletin board to inspire me, you and everyone else:
1. Watch portion sizes. Your midsection is the first you’ll notice overeating.
2. Balance your diet. Even a low-calorie diet won’t work if you’re not eating the right foods.
3. Spot reduction only tones. You need cardio to blast away the fat.
4. Stop counting reps and work to fatigue. If you’re not tired after 20 crunches, don’t stop.
5. Focus on technique. 25 good crunches are better than 100 poor ones.
6. Drink up. Water helps prevent bloating.
7. Variety will get you there faster. Every muscle group reaches a plateau. Change things up to get result.
8. Kick up your cardio. Intensity will blast fat faster.
9.Focus on the abs and make them exert some effort.
10. Drinks add up. Liquid calories are the surest way to wreck any diet. Don’t wash away all your hard work.