Sustainable Choices is a scheme which empowers customers to make behavioural changes towards a sustainable lifestyle. Products that qualify as Sustainable Choices must meet specific criteria, such as being made with better ingredients or materials, using better packaging, offering refill packs, featuring reusable or replaceable components promoting less waste. Making it easier for customers to find these products which are good for the environment, Watsons is now offering over 8,000 Sustainable Choices products globally; and in the Philippines there are over 1500 products available ranging from skincare to shampoo, both in stores and online.
Teaming up with ClimatePartner, Watsons will launch a carbon compensation project in July that will offset carbon emissions from seven Sustainable Choices products. The carbon emissions of these product have already been measured by calculating the emissions from cradle-to-customer plus end-of-life, and then the remaining emissions will be offset through a nature-based project independently verified for its social and environmental impacts by TÜV Austria, an internationally recognised specialist in environmental auditing.
The seven Sustainable Choices products are:
- Naturals by Watsons Coffee Exfoliating Soap
- Naturals by Watsons Aloe Vera Shampoo
- Watsons Antibacterial Cleansing Wipes
- Watsons Bamboo Toothbrush
- Watsons Fruity Mask
- Watsons Bamboo Paper
- Imew 04 Centalla Asiatica Booster
Customers will be able to identify the carbon compensated products by the ClimatePartner Certified Labels with a QR code to know more about the carbon compensation project supported.
Going Beyond Climate Change Commitments
As part of the carbon compensation project to fight climate change, Watsons is supporting ClimatePartner’s Forest Protection initiatives in Rimba Raya, Indonesia. Through reforestation in degraded areas, the forest is restored, carbon stocks are increased, and the overall health of ecosystem is promoted. In addition, the natural habitat of endangered Bornean orangutans is preserved as the Rimba Raya Biodiversity Reserve is home to a wide variety of animal and plant species.
This carbon compensation project is A.S. Watson’s sustainability commitment on top of its greenhouse gas (GHG) emission reduction which has already been vetted and validated by the Science Based Targets Initiative (SBTi).
A.S. Watson’s GHG emission reduction targets include:
- Reducing Scope 1 and 2 GHG emissions by 50.4% by 2030 from a 2018 base year
- Reducing Scope 3 GHG Emissions from purchased goods and services, upstream transportation and distribution, and use of sold products by 58% per Hong Kong dollar value added by 2030 from a 2018 base year
- Pledging that 33% of its suppliers by emissions covering purchased goods and services, upstream transportation and distribution will have science-based targets (SBTs) by 2027