Yes, I was finally able to bake again after a long time. This was via a Quaker Oats Preorder Kit that came my way. This is basically a kit where almost all the ingredients are shipped to you already pre-measured. A very nice idea, isn’t it?
Am glad my resurrected attempt at baking again was not a flop. The recipe was for a Quaker Oats Cream Pie created by chef Miko Aspiras. This is basically your oatmeal cookies sandwiched by a delicious cream filling. I loved how dense and chewy my baked cream pie was, it also had the right level of sweetness (we adjusted the recipe and reduced the sugar required). This is one addicting dessert without the guilt because as you know, the main ingredient Quaker Whole Grain Rolled Oats has enough fiber, iron and other essential nutrients to make us strong and immune from sickness in these trying times.
Sharing with you here the recipe –
FOR THE COOKIES
1 1/4 cups (290g) unsalted butter (softened at room temperature)
1 cup (200g) packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 tbsp. dark molasses (can use honey or maple syrup)
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sa;t
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves or nutmeg
3 cups Quaker Rolled oats
1. Preheat oven to 190C. Lime a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Set aside.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together with a mixer on medium-high speed until light and creamy. Beat in the egg, vanilla and molasses, scooping down the sides as needed. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves and oats.
4. On a low mixer setting, slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. The dough will be quite thick, so you may have to mix it by hand after a few seconds in the mixer.
5. Drop dough onto the baking sheet with a large cookie scoop, or roughly 2 tbsp per cookie. Position each cookie 3 inches apart from each other
6. Bake for 10 minutes until lightly golden around the edges. Cool completely before spreading the cream filling
How to make – Beat 3/4 cup unsalted butter until creamy, about 1 minute. Add a cup of confectioner’s sugar and beat in medium speed for 1-2 minutes. Pour in 3 tbsp heavy cream and 1.5 tsp vanilla extract then beat on high for 2-3 mins until fluffy. Add a pinch of salt as needed.
Chill the cream for a bit before spreading onto the cooled cookies. Press together.