It’s almost Christmas, and it’s time to start planning this year’s festivities! If you plan on hosting a holiday bash and you want to make sure this is a party your loved ones won’t soon forget, use these ideas to your advantage.
1. Require Christmas Outfits
Why not make your guest a part of the party decorations? Ask everyone to wear their best holiday-themed clothing. It could be as simple as a red-and-green getup, or something as hilarious as a fully decked out Christmas suit or Christmas dress ensemble from Tipsy Elves. You can require Christmas-themed clothing to get in the door – guests only enter when they’re tinseled-out! This is a guaranteed way to up the festive vibes at your soiree.
2. Make it a Potluck
If you’re throwing a holiday shindig on a tight budget, consider making your get-together a potluck. Ask family and friends to bring along their favorite Christmas dish, or set up a Google Spreadsheet where everyone can sign up to bring something on a list you’ve put together. You’ll save money and eat well – it’s a win-win! Plus, this way, everyone gets to show off their cooking prowess – who doesn’t like to share
3. Hire a DJ
If you’re looking to throw a dance party, hire the help of a local DJ who can set the mood with holiday tunes. Don’t have the moolah to afford a DJ? Become a DJ yourself by curating a Christmas playlist on Spotify. Throw on your playlist when everyone arrives – just make sure you add some dance-friendly jams to get people moving on the makeshift dance floor.
Here’s a few Christmas song favorites you simply must include (trust me, your guests will appreciate these jams!):
- All I Want for Christmas – Mariah Carey
- Last Christmas – Wham
- Frosty the Snowman – Leon Redbone
- Jingle Bells – Frank Sinatra
- Blue Christmas – Elvis Presley
- Little Drummer Boy – Pentatonix
Beware: Once these hits start playing, you may find yourself the host of an impromptu karaoke party.
4. Set up a Photo Booth
What’s better than making beautiful holiday memories with your loved ones? Having tangible mementos of those memories. By setting up a photo booth at your Christmas party, you can give your guests a keepsake they’ll treasure for years to come. You don’t have to rent a photo booth setup to get the job done; just set up a sheet on a wall, purchase an inexpensive Polaroid camera, and let your guests become photographers. Make sure you provide plenty of props to use in the photos. Here’s a good list to start: Santa hats, feather boas, signs with funny phrases on them, and beads.
5. Set Up a Bar Area
Make it easy for people to serve themselves some holiday libations by setting up a small bar in one corner of the room. Whether you invest in a cute bar cart or just clear off some table space and set up your own makeshift bar, be sure to also offer plenty of non-alcoholic beverages that guests can enjoy.
6. Play White Elephant
At Christmas time, everyone’s in the giving (and okay, let’s face it, receiving) mood. Give the party an extra bit of entertainment by hosting a white elephant bash. The game is played as such:
1. Ask every guest to bring a gift to contribute to the pile. Create a budget limit of around $10 – and encourage funny gifts!
2. Draw numbers to decide order of gift-opening
3. Have players sit in a circle, with the gift pile in the middle
4. Player one (chosen by drawing numbers) can open one gift from the pile
5. Following players can either choose to steal a gift that’s already been opened, or open a new gift
6. After all players are finished, the first player to open a gift can swap their current gift with anyone else’s
7. Once someone declines to steal a gift, the game ends
With these tips in your arsenal, you’re sure to throw a holiday bash to remember. Keep these ideas in mind as you plan your get-together, and get ready for a roaring good time!