If anyone ever asked me what my shopping personality is, here’s how I would describe it:
1. As a mom of four, my eye for discounts and good deals is on point. This is how I stretch the budget and save money. Am not the type to write down every expenses, but my spending list is pretty much broken down into three major parts: the non-essentials (clothes, makeup), the basics (food, shelter) and the must-pay (money investments, amortizations etc).
2. Over the years, my taste for shopping has gone from designer to functional. Am not much into names anymore. If a piece of clothing or a bag has a simple yet elegant design and serves its purpose, am fine by it.
3. I don’t skimp on grocery items and eating out with the family but there are times when I feel guilty about spending so much on shopping and dining. At times, faced with a 3K bill, I sometimes calculate how much it would be if I cooked at home instead and the difference is huge! The same guilt I feel this Christmas because am doing a lot of online shopping for presents and I know am splurging unnecessarily.
What to do?
Sometimes I blame my phone for a lot of my impulse buying. There’s just too many stuff out there and it’s so easy to pay with one click.I still consider myself a late adapter to shopping on my mobile but am now a convert. So easy to spend away but did you know there are also apps out there designed to save you money?
One MUST-HAVE app that I can recommend to fellow mommies and shopaholics is Shopback. This is just awesome because you get money back for every $$$ you spend on their partner-merchants.
I have to say I could not understand the concept of the site at first. As a consumer, am not familiar with “cash backs.” But I was floored when I learned that they’re totally legit and will deposit the money to my Paypal/bank account if I coursed my shopping through their portal.
Some of the big names affiliated with Shopback include booking dot com, Klook, Sephora, BeautyMNL, L’Oreal, Zalora, Asos, Shopee, Lazada, SM Store, Watsons. The list goes on…they have 500++ merchants.
The average cashback when shopping for food and groceries on Shopback is 7%. Am glad this same rate applies to Honestbee because I’ve been shopping a lot there lately for our food and grocery items.
How to use Shopback
Here’s my step-by-step guide on earning money with Shopback (to help people like me who is not familiar with the concept, hehe)
1. First, download the Shopback mobile app. If you are on a desktop, go to shopback.ph and it’s advised that you download the Chrome extension as well so that you will be notified to activate cashback when you are shopping on their partner merchants
2. Once on the app, browse through their list of 500+ partner-merchants and choose the store you want to shop on.
3. Clicking on the store’s icon will lead you to the store’s website. Nothing else we need to do, just shop as normal
4. What’s important is to start our shopping with the Shopback app or desktop site. The system will be alerted even though we end our shopping (e.g. check out) at the partner merchant’s site
5. Sit back and wait for the Shopback money to show up in your bank account or Paypal within 2 days after purchase. Of course, the more we shop, the more we earn our money back.
Here’s how I earned back P6.60 by shopping for a P270 item from Lazada
How cool is that? Way too cool!!! (Needless to say, am not doing my online shopping the old way. Shopback is the smarter way!)